Page 2: The paint market
Today, coatings are essential to the modern world, and are used in the most testing industrial environments on the planet and beyond. They provide protection from corrosion - not only for homes and cars, but also ships, bridges, trains and aircraft.
Modern technology has provided synthetic ingredients which have enabled a new range of colours and finishes:
- Emulsion - a water-borne paint, now available in matt, mid sheen and silk finishes.
- Gloss - either oil or acrylic-based, now available in liquid and non-drip forms.
- Satin or eggshell finishes - can be either oil-based or water-borne.
- Primers and undercoats – preparatory paints to protect wood or metal and ensure the top coat will adhere to the surface.
- Coil coatings - paint on rolled-up steel or aluminium.
- Powder coatings - powder sprayed on metal and baked.
- Woodcare - specialist coatings formulated for maximum protection on the most difficult substrate, timber.