Page 2: Communication
Communication is the process of putting messages across to a targeted audience. For effective communication to take place, the sender of the message must:
- be clear about the intended message
- use an appropriate medium for that particular message e.g. mail, TV advert, Internet, public address system
- present the message clearly and unambiguously.
The intended recipient(s) must be:
- able to receive the message
- ready and willing to listen to it
- open to persuasion with regard to it.
These rules are crucial to successful communication.
People sending messages do not all have the same objective. They may be wanting to:
- inform e.g. 'Contains at least 33 per cent extra free'
- persuade e.g. 'This offer can never be repeated'
- reinforce a message or consumer pattern e.g. "Customers are reminded that...."