Page 2: Conclusions from the analysis of the external environment
A sustainable building is one that limits energy use and scarce resources. This is vital because 26% of the UK's energy use is linked to heating buildings.
- Governments will use building regulations and planning permission controls to meet the Kyoto protocol.
- Outer town developments will be restricted in favour of inner city developments including brownfield sites.
- There will be a shortage of housing as demand increases because of more households and increased life expectancy.
- Land will be increasingly scarce and therefore expensive especially in the South-East so it will have to accommodate more people per acre, through dense development.
- As car ownership increases, there will be a 50% increase in car journeys.