Page 5: Environmental considerations
The environmental management programme
The Castle Bromwich development is heavily based on improving the environmental performance of the modern manufacturing industry. A few of the initiatives under the environmental management programme include:
- the regeneration of an old derelict brownfield site rather than using valuable green space
- energy management - a new gas-fired boiler house has replaced the old coal fired one, saving £150,000 per year
- recycling - the new X200 is 85% recyclable by weight
- emission reduction - the new plant has eliminated ozone depleting CFCs and 111 trichloroethane from the manufacturing processes and the product. The new Power House has led to a 95% reduction in sulphur dioxide emissions.
- an environmental management system - Jaguar is committed to the international environmental management system standard (ISO 14001). This standard ensures that processes are in place to identify the impact of corporate activities and formulate measures to improve and, where possible, eliminate harmful or wasteful practices.
- Jaguar and the community - Jaguar is working actively within the local community, participating in and supporting local environmental initiatives such as The Groundwork Trust, Local Agenda 21 and the Coventry Environmental Charter.
Paint process improvements
The painting processes provide a good example of the environmental improvements that have taken place. Traditionally, the majority of pollutants produced in a car plant come from the paint process. Recent environmental legislation has recognised this and requires reduction in overall plant emissions. Jaguar is addressing these issues by a significant programme of investment and material changes.
Old fashioned colour coats contribute 40-50% of solvent vapour emissions. Jaguar has therefore begun using new water-based colour coats (which use water instead of solvent). This has immediately reduced factory emissions. Jaguar has engaged in a £65 million investment in paint shop refurbishment. The key theme is environmental improvements to all processes. Another objective is to reduce energy usage.