Page 10: Hobnobs on the up …
There can be no doubt that Hobnobs are perceived by consumers as being a lively and interesting brand with a distinctive image. McVitie's therefore needs to build on the strength of the brand and make sure that the right sort of messages about the product are reaching a target audience of young adults with a sense of fun.
In creating an effective marketing strategy, marketers working for McVitie's have set out to:
- use the strength of the brand name to reach the target market effectively via links with comedy and humour
- encourage sampling at events relevant to the target market to encourage trial and (ultimately) adoption
- appeal to a young target market without alienating the current broad user base (housewives)
- reach the target audience through appropriate media (cinema, radio, satellite, TV, magazines)
- use PR/sponsorship as a cost effective vehicle to increase awareness and develop brand personality.