Page 3: Benefits of business continuity
Eurostar’s emphasis on proactive management is highly important to the company’s ongoing growth. By continually identifying present risks and assessing possible future risks, the company has the ability to avoid problems as much as realistically possible. For example, passenger demand has risen by 4% over the first half of 2011 and Eurostar is already in the process of a major refurbishment of its trains and is purchasing 10 new train sets. These actions will help Eurostar to maintain its high levels of service to its customers.
Eurostar has also considered what it should do when and if problems do arise. It has therefore set up complementary work streams for both business continuity and disaster recovery. An effective business continuity plan and programme has several business benefits:
- Proactive identification of risks and their impacts contribute to proactively avoiding their effects
- Provides an effective response mechanism, should the risks become reality, which minimises their impacts
- Encourages cross-team working
- Demonstrates a credible response to customers
- Enhances the business’ reputation
- Gains competitive advantage
- Supports continuous and sustainable business improvement.
The business continuity management process provides the processes, principles and the terminology that the business can use to ensure that it is acting proactively to avoid interruptions in its business or at least mitigate their effect should they occur. Identification of risk to the business is therefore the starting point for action.