Page 4: Evolving the KMDS programme
The KMDS was launched in 1995 and today has 172 individuals on the scheme working across the Group. All individuals following the KMDS route joined in their early 20s. Recently Kingfisher has recognised that there are benefits in opening up the process to existing high potential young managers across the Group. This will bring a new set of individuals to the fast-track process, and motivate existing ambitious employees. It has been decided that internal recruits will join the process at the equivalent stage of year 3 to 5.
Following an induction in which the KMDS trainee is given a general overview of retail, they can expect the following training:
Years 0 – 2
- 3-6 months in a store
- 2-3 further placements, one in commercial and afterwards in key functions
- A post-graduate certificate in management studies from Templeton College, Oxford
- A ‘skills tool-box’ consisting of day-release training to develop personal skills
- A ‘buddy’ who is already on the scheme to provide help and guidance.
Years 3 – 5
- The opportunity of working in another operating company, perhaps overseas
- Developing the trainee’s specialist expertise
- Continual training through workshop- based training
- Technical mentoring by experienced staff.
- Time to consolidate the skills and expertise learnt, whilst continuing to receive support and mentoring.
Years 7 – 10
- Preparing for the move from middle to senior management. This involves one-to-one support and coaching as well as experiencing different operating companies and departments.