Effective recruitment and selection processes can provide many benefits for organisations. Employing the best people to fill job vacancies can lead to better service, greater productivity and a more motivated workforce. For Enterprise Rent-A-Car (Enterprise), the key driver of growth is maintaining high levels of customer satisfaction. It would not be able to deliver its award winning customer service without having the right employees. Effective recruitment should also lead to lower labour turnover if workers stay in post longer. This results in a more experienced workforce and reduces future costs of recruiting and training replacement staff.
Despite the fact that the League Managers' Association (LMA) has reported that management skills develop with time, last week it emerged that most football managers do not last more than 2 years in post. In the Championship, the average tenure of managers is less than a year and a half. The LMA's chief executive commented that "We continue to focus on development of managers and coaches, equipping them with the skills required". However, in the high pressure world of football, these skills must be evident as soon as managers take up their positions. With the industry under intense media scrutiny, managers are expected to deliver results – immediately and ongoing. The challenge is to attract high calibre candidates and then select the right people, with the right leadership and communication skills, to ensure those results materialise. (21st May 2010 The Times)
- List the different stages of the recruitment process.
- Using the case study, explain how Enterprise attracts high quality candidates to fill its job vacancies.
- Analyse the benefits of effective recruitment and selection processes within organisations.
- Suggest and justify three appropriate selection methods that could be used during the recruitment of a premiership football manager.
- List the different stages of the recruitment process. • Identify a vacancy • Write a job description • Write the person specification • Advertise the post • Use selection methods to identify the best candidate • Appoint (followed by induction training).
- Using the case study, explain how Enterprise attracts high quality candidates to fill its job vacancies. Answers may include: • Campus brand managers in universities • Mentoring programmes • Careers Fairs • Skills sessions • Presentations • Offering good salary and training packages • Using internal recruitment.
- Analyse the benefits of effective recruitment and selection processes within organisations. Benefits might include: • Better productivity • Higher quality customer service • More motivated and loyal workers • More cohesive teams • Experienced workforce • Reduced recruitment and selection costs.
- Suggest and justify three appropriate selection methods that could be used during the recruitment of a premiership football manager. Possible answers may include: interviews, assessment centres, role plays, demonstrations, presentations etc.