Page 4: The new generation of cinemas
This concept was designed to extend the escapism offered by the big screen into a broader leisure offering. One of the aims of the new leisure developments is to find better ways of offering more to the customer in return for a higher customer spend. For example, the new generation of cinemas have bars, cafés, children’s party rooms and retail areas providing the customer with pre and post show relaxation time in which they can browse and enjoy the offers. By doing this, UCI hopes to enhance the customer ‘experience’ – developing their loyalty and providing points of differentiation over UCI’s competitors. UCI wants to offer its customers better service and promotions and something which is different and exclusive to UCI. UCI’s leisure experience includes the following:
- Open entrances - often from a shopping mall, with the latest ticketing technology.
- Multi screens - with stadium seating comprising high-backed seats and extended leg room.
- Concessions - UCI has extended the drinks and popcorn offering to include nachos, hot dogs, pick ‘n’ mix sweets and children’s Film Feast.
- Non-food merchandising – UCI has licenses to sell a wide range of film related merchandise, providing customers with the opportunity to purchase mementoes.
- Cafe concept - UCI has developed a cafe concept selling a range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and complimentary food items appealing to a broad cross-section of customers.
- Party rooms - the UCI party rooms are designed to offer children of all ages (target age 5- 11) the opportunity to celebrate their birthday parties in style, either before or after seeing a film of their choice. The rooms are brightly coloured with state of the art lighting, built-in games and video screens to play the latest pop videos or the children’s favourite cartoons.
- Comprehensive programme for younger customers which is headed up by two cartoon characters; ‘UC’ and 'I'. The programme includes a Film Feast, birthday parties, ‘UC’ and 'I' costume characters and a 'UC' and 'I' comic which is produced quarterly.
- Zero - offers the latest interactive game technology, including motion ride technology, into the cinema environment to provide a sensory experience.