Humans are, by nature, creatures that avoid anything that seems boring. So it’s no surprise that when it comes to learning, we often shy away from anything that doesn’t appear interesting right off the bat. However, what if learning could be fun?
This is where gamification comes in. Gamification is taking something traditionally seen as dry and boring, such as a learning management system (LMS), and making it into a game. By doing this, users are more likely actually to use the LMS and learn from it.
Not only does gamification make learning more fun, but it also makes it more engaging. And when learners are engaged, they are more likely to retain the information they are trying to learn.
How to gamify your LMS?
Gamification is the process of adding game-like elements to learning experiences to make them more fun and engaging. Turning lessons into games can motivate learners to stay engaged and progress through their studies. Here are some tips for gamifying your learning management system lms:
- Make learning fun: Add elements of playfulness to your courses, such as badges, leaderboards, and points.
- Turn lessons into a game: Use game mechanics to structure course content and give learners feedback on their progress.
- Give rewards for progress: Offer incentives for completing tasks and reaching milestones. This could include digital badges, real-world prizes, or recognition from peers and instructors.
- Create a sense of community: Encourage social interaction and collaboration among learners to create a supportive learning environment.
The benefits of a gamified LMS
There are many benefits of gamified e-learning, including more engaged students, improved results, and more fun. Gamification can help students to retain information better and stay motivated to complete their courses. Additionally, gamification can promote collaboration and social interaction among students.
So if you’re looking for a way to improve your e-learning courses, consider adding some game-like elements. Your team will thank you for it!
Why do so few LMSs use this technique if gamification is so effective?
LMSs are designed to help learners complete specific tasks or goals. Gamification is a technique that can be used to make learning more fun and engaging, but it is not typically used in LMSs. There are a few reasons why this may be the case.
- First, gamification requires additional development work to create game-like features and integrate them into the LMS. This can be time-consuming and expensive.
- Second, not all learners will enjoy or benefit from gamification. Some learners may prefer a more traditional, serious approach to learning.
- Finally, gamification can be misused if not implemented carefully. For example, if learners are given too many rewards for completing tasks, they may become reliant on them and lose motivation to learn without them. If gamification is not used wisely, it can do more harm than good.
How to choose a better LMS platform?
Type: There are three main types of LMS platforms: those hosted by the vendor, those installed on your server, and those cloud-based. Each type has advantages and disadvantages, so choosing the one that best fits your needs is important.
Features: Some important features to look for include: ease of use, scalability, compatibility with your existing systems, and support for mobile devices.
Cost: Platforms can range from free to several thousand dollars per year. Cost can be a major factor in deciding which solution to choose.
No matter how you choose to gamify your eLearning course, there are several benefits that you can expect to see. Gamification can make learning more engaging, entertaining, and enjoyable. It can also help learners retain information better and motivate them to continue learning after the course.