Page 6: Communicating
The OFT liaises with government departments and international organisations, as well as answering queries from individual consumers and providing information about consumers' rights.
It communicates with consumers, businesses, the government and others regularly. Through its announcements, publications and press releases, the OFT:
- explains its decisions openly to all
- shows how efficient, competitive markets are important for consumers, fair-dealing businesses and good economic performance
- creates an atmosphere that encourages firms to comply with good competitive practice
- helps raise consumer awareness and confidence
- co-ordinates activities with other enforcing agencies locally, nationally and internationally
- advises government on how to achieve a climate in which competition and consumers can best flourish.