In this article, we will focus on the engineering discipline. By definition, engineering is a discipline and profession that applies scientific theories, mathematical methods and empirical evidence to design, create and analyze technological solutions cognizant of safety, human factors, physical laws regulations, practicality, and cost. Engineering is generally considered to consist of the major branches of chemical engineering, civil engineering, and mechanical engineering.
More specifically, we will horn in on Engineering Service Providers (ESP) and the purpose of these companies. Due to the diverse set of pressures, OEMs are increasingly looking for opportunities to focus on their core competencies. These pressures have led to OEMs entering into product development outsourcing arrangements with Engineering Service Providers.
These pressures include globalization, fragmentation of demand, operational complexity, technological challenges, digitization, scarcity of engineering talent, and the desire to adjust capacities to fluctuating demands. Outsourcing engineer services have become quite popular in recent years.
When to Outsource Engineering Services
- Need for specialization. In the lack of the necessary technology or expertise in-house to complete a project, outsourcing engineer services may be the answer.
- Future technology. If a company is keen on obtaining new software or technology but needs help getting started, this is a great opportunity to outsource.
- Lack of resources. Outsourcing is a solution when a company lacks manpower or resources for a project.
How to Choose the Right Engineering Service Provider
Once you have decided to outsource your engineering projects, the next step is to find a trustworthy firm. Cons associated with outsourcing can be minimized or eliminated through careful consideration of potential providers.
- What is it that you need from an Engineering Service provider?
- Understand fully what it is you need from the engineering services firm and what your company’s capabilities are.
- Review the ESP’s portfolio
- This will determine whether their work aligns with your needs. Take the step to contact their past clients and ask about the ESP’s work, trustworthiness and professionalism.
- Research on their Background, Talent Pool and Qualifications.
- Ensure the ESP has a great vetting system set in place for their engineers. Inquire on the education, experience, and background of the ESP’s engineers.
- Inquire on their Processes and Software
- Be aware of the software and tools the ESPs are presently using. A competent ESP will be up-to-date on the latest technologies and possess the best engineering resources.
- Price should be the last consideration
- Qualifications are the most important factor in engineering work. Price is a non-issue because only the most qualified ESP can get your work done.
Benefits of Outsourcing to an ESP
By choosing a trusted outsourcing provider, businesses can enjoy benefits such as reduced operating costs, improved design quality, increased technical support, and higher client satisfaction. Below are the twelve primary benefits of outsourcing your engineering services.
Below are additional benefits of outsourcing:
- Higher client satisfaction
- Improved marketing capabilities
- 24/7 support and service access
- A higher level of engineering expertise
- Faster turn-around time on key projects.
The outsourcing provider should be dedicated to providing your company with the highest level of service.