Page 5: Communicating the strategy
Good, clear communication is essential in making sure that the CSR strategy aligns with company business objectives. Communication also helps in putting the strategy into practice.
A number of communications media are used:
- Face-to-face communication is very important. Regular meetings take place between UNICEF, Amway and its IBOs. Through meetings with UNICEF staff the leading IBOs are able to share the vision and objectives and then pass the message on in meetings with other IBOs. In 2005 Amway (UK) Ltd and UNICEF UK organised an information day for IBO Leaders. They were able to hear first hand experiences from UNICEF staff about their roles and UNICEF's work as well as where the money goes.
- Printed material is also important. Amway produces a monthly magazine for all IBOs. Amagram is Amway's European monthly title. It includes articles about the UK Partner Store and the UNICEF Lily pin. (Pins are very popular collectors items in the Amway business opportunity). E-mail communication is also important in the company - as e-mail plays a significant part in keeping IBOs up-to-date. Public Relations materials are also important, particularly at launch events for the initiative.
- Online activities. There is a micro-site dedicated to the Amway UK UNICEF partnership on the UNICEF UK website. This can be found at www.unicef.org.uk/amway. Part of Amway's website is also dedicated to supporting the partnership through the sale of UNICEF merchandise in the Partner Store. This can be found at www.amivo.co.uk.
The Amway and UNICEF UK Partner Store sells a range of UNICEF items such as:
- greeting cards
- multi-cultural cards and gifts
- stationery and wrapping paper
- toys for children
- Make Poverty History wristbands.
However, Amway UK's support goes well beyond these activities. In addition, important events include staff fundraising and raffles organised by IBOs.
UNICEF attends IBO major events (usually supported by 1000 or more IBOs) where requested. A UNICEF stand outlines the work with speakers, literature and merchandise.