UNISON is the UK’s biggest public service trade union. It represents 1.3 million members who deliver essential services to the public. These are services that protect, enrich and change lives. Its members work in all areas of public service - hospitals, town halls, universities, colleges, schools, social services and clinics.
UNISON represents and supports its members in issues at work. It looks after their welfare and campaigns for changes on their behalf. UNISON also has a role in local and national negotiations and in collective bargaining.
Case studies in Business Case Studies
- Edition 19 Providing support through the stages of the business cycleThis business cycle case study looks at the phases of the business cycle and how these influence UNISONâ€™s There for You, both operationally as a charity and also with the provision of support services its members require.
- Edition 17 Developing responsiveness through organisational structureThis organising people case study looks at organisational structures and how UNISONâ€™s structure is designed to allow it to make decisions and respond to changes quickly in order to help its members.
- Edition 16 Using promotion to campaign for public servicesThis promotion case study focuses on how UNISON has promoted its A Million Voices for Public Services campaign. It has used a range of methods and technologies designed to reach a variety of different audiences.
- Edition 15 Negotiation and representation at workThis protecting people case study shows how UNISON is working with employers to support and develop high quality apprenticeship schemes for young people in line with government policy.
- Edition 14 Use of PEST analysis at UNISONThis external influences case study focuses on the issues faced by migrant workers in the UK.
- Edition 13 Driving forward environmental aims and objectivesThis aims and objectives case study focuses on the way businesses impact on the environment. One of UNISON's aims is to help to improve the environment at work and, by so doing, contribute to efforts to tackle climate change.
- Edition 12 Using effective communicationsThis communications case study helps students understand communication processes and the benefits for an organisation of effective communication.
- Edition 11 Health and safety in the workplaceThis health & safety case study helps students understand the role of unions understanding their work in Health and Safety.
- Edition 10 UNISON and unions' wider roleAs a result of carefully reading the Case Study, students should be able to: understand why employers and employees need to agree on what is fair in the workplace, explain the role of unions in both protecting and representing workers at both local and national level, give examples of cases where UNISON has been successful on behalf of workers.
- Edition 9 Organisations and unionsAs a result of carefully reading the Case Study, students should be able to: explain the benefits for the employer and employee of working together harmoniously for the common good, outline the work of UNISON in protecting public sector workers’ rights, understand that union membership is a hard-won right that employees should exercise.
- Edition 8 Trade Unions - dealing with changeThis managing change case study looks at how trade unions still play a vital role in promoting fairness in the workplace and how they achieved big improvements in the lives of working women. It also looks at why they are trying to persuade young members that becoming a union member brings them enormous advantages in the workplace.
About this case study:
This case study focuses on how UNISON has promoted its A Million Voices for Public Services campaign. It has used a range of methods and technologies designed to reach a variety of different audiences.
Above the line promotion
Below the line promotion
Downloadable ePoster available
Demonstrates the purpose of promotion in the context of UNISON, looking at business objectives, above and below the line activity and evaluation of the promotional activity. Digital download prints in A3 size. – £3.99