Vision, values and their influence on business strategy
A National Express case study

Below is a list of Business Case Studies case studies organised alphabetically by company. To view more companies, please choose a letter from the list below.

Page 4: Growth

National Express 19 3An aspirational vision and an ambitious strategy are all tools for business growth. Most companies need to grow to stay in business and having the right strategy is a way that enables a business to achieve growth. Business growth can be realised by increasing market share, new product or service development as well as diversifying into different markets, all of which can improve profitability.

The way National Express acts as a business embodies their Vision and Value and has a positive impact on its consumers, communities and the environment. By implementing its Youth Promise, National Express Coach is able to grow in the following ways:

  • Increased perception as a responsible business
  • Potential new revenue streams
  • New business opportunities as a result of all the
  • Exposure to new customers’.

With its premier position in the market, National Express Coach needs to ensure that as the business grows its services remain relevant, respected and appealing to consumers.

National Express, UK Coach activities have been reviewed to establish environmental risk, legal obligations, impacting activities and measurement and monitoring opportunities to determine overall environmental impact, as a result of its business activities.

‘Our services make an important contribution in reducing UK emissions from travel, because buses, coaches and trains produce fewer emissions per passenger kilometer, than other forms of transport such as car or air travel.  However as a public transport company emissions from our fleet of coach’s constitutes to around 93% of our carbon footprint. The remaining 7% of emissions that are generated by our buildings, our use of water and generation of waste water, generation of waste and use of non-renewable resource are also important to us. Therefore National Express include the environment in its business strategy. To reduce our impact on the environment from it coach’s, National Express is constantly investing in its fleet with all vehicles being replaced every five years. National Express also uses fuel efficient technology such as telematics and driver camera systems, which monitor driver behaviour and provide alerts.  These systems are used to let our drivers know how they are performing and provide a coaching tools should improvements be required.

To reduce our impact on the environment from it sites, National Express has installed sensor lighting, fitted solar panels and sets energy reduction targets.  To reduce water and waste water it uses water recycling wash systems and has a rainwater harvesting system at its Head Office.  All sites have the facilities to segregate paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, and drinking cans with our current landfill diversion rate being 62.3%, targets for the reduction to paper use and printing are also set.

Adopting a risk based approach has allowed National Express to minimise the risk of pollution by increasing spillage provision and training spill responders and has seen the enhancement of its resilient to flooding.

To increase environmental awareness regular communication are provided which include summary of performance; improvement ideas, tips, general awareness campaigns. Our World Environment Day campaign saw the adoption of a section of Woodland in Plymouth as result of our employees making pledges to improve their personal environmental performance. 


National Express | Vision, values and their influence on business strategy