Page 4: Travis Perkins´ customers and the marketing mix
The Internal customer is all employees and associates of the business are important, they are the point of contact with the external customer. The External customer buys goods from the business. They are also the potential customers the business hopes to attract in the future.
Travis Perkins must strive to continuously improve performance and be better than the competition to keep existing and attract new customers. In order to pursue competitive advantage Travis Perkins is constantly reviewing and adjusting its marketing mix, paying attention to the little things that make a difference.
The marketing mix is also known as the 4Ps:
Travis Perkins does not aim to be the cheapest, its aim is to provide value for money and a service customers can rely on. Customers may have tight deadlines. A reliable supply to finish the job is therefore essential.
Some customers are more price sensitive than others. Account customers are given preferential rates depending on their product requirements and purchasing habits - volume and overall spend are two key drivers to create the correct price levels for a specific customer. Goods can also be delivered from the yard or direct from manufacturers to produce the most competitive rate.
Travis Perkins needs to be aware of lifestyle and fashion changes when it decides which products are offered for sale. Many products are standard building materials but adding value to the product is important.
Accessibility for customer and supplier is vital to the success of any business. It must also consider how to display goods within its premises, for instance, placing similar or complementary products close to each other and labelling products clearly.
All businesses need to tell the customer what it has to offer. It is important that Travis Perkins considers carefully the most effective methods of promotion to maximise sales. Strategies might include; special offers, on line ordering, point of sale offers, trade shows and exhibitions.
The marketing mix for Travis Perkins has:
- standard prices for one-off customers
- differentiated discounts for account holders/frequent purchasers
- many products are discounted
- offer value for money and an excellent service.
- branches need to be accessible by road
- adequate car and van parking
- space for loading/unloading
- complementary products need to be near each other
- impulse buys at point of sale
- associated services such as hire, kitchen planning where appropriate
- safe & friendly environment.
- needs to reflect lifestyle changes
- needs to reflect legislation and technology advances
- added value products such as pre-packed bags of sand and cement for easy transportation
- ready-made wooden constructions such as trellis, fence panels, doors & windows
- link selling to ensure the customers buy associated products such as fixings & finishing materials.
- website www.travisperkins.co.uk
- online ordering
- tool hire online
- customer surveys
- special offers and value lines - Spotlight and Red Hot Offers feature the very best deals each month
- catalogues/direct mail
- sports sponsorship.