Page 2: Segmentation
It is important to recognise that an overall market will usually consist of discrete segments made up of consumers with different needs. Two obvious segments for broadband are business and household. Both can be broken down into sub-components where relevant.
Household customers can be defined by age or income in addition to the sort of use they make of the web:
- educational - research for homework
- communication - email, instant messaging
- sport - navigating pages about football
- music - downloading tracks
- online gaming.
BT identified that customers with a gaming interest had a high propensity to adopt broadband technology. Two tiers of online gamers have been identified.
- Tier 1 consists mainly of males aged 16 - 35.
- Tier 2 consists of family users i.e. parents whose children are potential online users.
Research showed that customers are passionate about gaming and that they enjoy using new technology with the latest games and up-to-date consoles. Customer research showed that the social aspect of gaming is important - users enjoy playing against their friends.