Page 5: Creating a new vision
At the same time as seeking to re-energise current values, Cummins realised the importance of creating a new, clear vision that would bring about consistency and cohesion across the global organisation. A set of common values, beliefs and goals was agreed and adopted.
The focus group process revealed a high degree of pride in the ability of the company, its products and its employees to improve the lives of people - helping customers to succeed, improving local communities and generating new solutions to reduce emissions and benefit the wider environment. When linked to the core business of providing power, the new vision proclaimed a strong statement with which employees could identify: 'Making people's lives better by unleashing the Power of Cummins.'
The vision is supported by a mission statement showing how it will be achieved: 'We unleash the Power of Cummins by':
- motivating people to act like owners working together
- exceeding customer expectations by always being first to market with the best products
- partnering with our customers to make sure they succeed
- demanding that everything we do leads to a cleaner, healthier, safer environment
- creating wealth for all stakeholders.
The message which comes through strongly from the vision and mission is a culture in which employees are empowered to generate new and exciting ideas that best meet customers' needs. This approach involves working in close partnership arrangements with customers and in ways that help improve the environment.