The Internet has become accessible to almost everyone nowadays, and the number of people using the Internet keeps increasing every day. More people are also embracing online shopping, and their shopping habits have changed over the years, meaning offline marketing isn't as effective as it used to be.
Marketing construes connecting with your consumers in the right place and at the right time. This means that you need to meet your audience where they are spending time online – this is called digital marketing.
Digital marketing uses all marketing efforts that use the Internet or an electronic device. Businesses take advantage of digital channels like search engines, email, social media, and other websites to connect with current and potential customers.
Why It's Important to Use Digital Marketing for Your Business
While traditional marketing is found in phone communication, print ads, or physical marketing, digital marketing takes place electronically and online. This means that there are so many possibilities for brands to reach customers through social media, video, email, and search engines.
Digital marketing is essential for your business and brand awareness. Every other brand has a website, and if they don't, they have a social media presence or digital ad strategy. Digital marketing and content are so common that most consumers now expect and rely on it as a method to learn more about brands.
To be competitive as a business owner, you need to embrace digital marketing. It can take your business to the next level and increase brand awareness. Digital marketing has so many options and strategies you can use to market your business. You can try being creative and experiment with different marketing tactics on a budget. With digital marketing, you can also use analytic dashboards to monitor your marketing campaigns' success and ROI more than you can do with traditional promotional content like billboards or print ads. Other benefits of digital marketing are:
- The ability to interact with your target audience and learn what they are looking for
- The ability to reach a global marketplace
- You get to know your audience, and also for them to know your brand personally, which creates brand loyalty.
- Levels the playing field for businesses
Types of Digital Marketing You Can Use for Your Business
Here's a brief rundown of some of the common digital marketing tactics used today.
Search engine optimization (SEO)
SEO optimizes your website to rank higher in search engine result pages like Google, which increases the amount of organic traffic your website receives. SEO will benefit your websites, blogs, and infographics. There are different ways in which you can approach SEO to generate qualified organic traffic to your website. They include:
- On-page SEO: Mainly deals with all the content that exists on a website. When you optimize your website pages to rank higher in search engines and increase organic traffic to your website, that's what on-page SEO is all about. When you research a keyword for its search volume and meaning, then you can create content that answers what your audience wants to know. This will make your website rank higher on that keyword.
- Off-page SEO: This one refers to all the activities you and others do away from your website, which also helps your website rank higher on search engines. They include backlinks and inbound links. The number of websites or publishers that link to your website affect how you rank for keywords on your website. By networking with other content creators and writing guest posts on these websites, and linking back to your website, these links can improve how your website ranks on search engine pages (SERPS).
- Technical SEO: This type of SEO is mainly used on your website's backend and how your web pages are coded. Structured data, image compression, and CSS file optimization are all forms of technical SEO used to increase your website's loading speed, which is an important ranking factor in search engines.
This entails the creation of content to generate leads, increase traffic, and boost brand awareness. The channels you can use in your content marketing strategy are:
- Blog posts: Creating content and publishing it on your company website will help demonstrate your authority and expertise in the industry, generating organic traffic for your business. This will ultimately create opportunities to turn website visitors into customers.
- E-books and whitepapers: E-books, whitepapers, and similar long-form content educate your website visitors. It also gives you a platform to get a visitor's contact information in exchange for valuable content, which generates more leads for your business and helps people through the buying process.
- Infographics: Sometimes, readers appreciate visual content, which shows them a concept you're trying to teach them.
Social media marketing
This is where you use social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Snapchat. These platforms can generate leads for your business, increase brand awareness, and drive traffic to your business. There are tools available online to optimize the many social media platforms, and use them in one place. You can also schedule content for different platforms and monitor analytics from the software.
With social media marketing, you can easily interact with your customers and listen to what they have to say about your brand and what they need. Social media marketing has put a whole new dimension to engagement and interaction with customers, compared to other advertising channels like ads where you broadcast using TV, print, or even online display advertisement to the masses.
Pay per click (PPC)
This method is used to drive traffic to your website by paying a publisher whenever someone clicks on your ad. The most commonly used PPC is Google Ads, which allows you to pay for the top slots in Google's search engine result pages at a price of the links you place. Other channels where you can also use PPC include:
- Paid ads on Facebook: With this, you pay to customize a slideshow, image post, or a video that Facebook publishes to the newsfeeds of people who match your business target audience.
- Sponsored LinkedIn messages: You pay LinkedIn to send messages directly to specific users based on their industry and background.
- Twitter ad campaigns: Here, you can pay to place a series of profile badges or posts to the newsfeeds of a specific targeted audience, dedicated to accomplishing a particular goal for your business. This goal could be to gain website traffic, Twitter followers, tweet engagement, or app downloads.
PPC can be quite expensive, and you need to do keyword research, and then try experimenting with different combinations of targeting ad copy to see what works. If you have the money for it, you can use PPC to boost and complement your work to optimize organic traffic.
Sending out emails to market your business may sound like an old school method in a world where everyone is Snapchatting and instant messaging. Email marketing remains one of the oldest effective marketing tools, especially for retail brands and e-commerce sites. If you're an online business, you can push your promotions and discounts on emails sent out to your customers.
You can also use email marketing to nurture your potential customers by giving them valuable content, instead of only pushing your products and services. Staying in constant contact with your email list will help you build relationships, and they will keep you in mind when they want to buy products or services in your niche.
Ensure that you develop strong headings that grab people's attention among their cluttered inboxes. You wouldn't want all your emails to go unopened. You also need to be adding value to your emails to keep subscribers.
Influencer marketing involves collaborating with influencers who could be experts, celebrities, or authority figures with an existing bigger audience. When they promote your products or services to their audiences on social media platforms like Instagram or YouTube, their loyal followers will use their recommendations and buy from you. Find an influencer who matches your industry's expectations.
Using influencers is a great way to market your products or services, especially if you're starting and don't have your audience. You can use their audience to boost brand awareness, increase sales, and drive traffic to your website.
Before choosing an influencer, decide what you want to get out of your influencer marketing campaign. Make a list of influencers who have the right audience. Don't just go for the popular influencers with a large following. Ensure you research and see how they engage with their audience, and if their audience is a good fit for your brand.
Don't try to do everything at once when trying out the different strategies of marketing your business. Ensure you have a plan of what you want to achieve, and if you need help, you can go to https://elkhq.com/; they are the best in the market, and will help take your business to the next level with digital marketing.