Page 3: Polo´s response
Polo's response to these trends was decisive. The key problem was that the brand had not been developed and so it was starting to be seen as predictable. To regenerate sales volume and rejuvenate brand interest, three new Polo variants were added to the range in 1994 and Polo was relaunched as Polo Original. Extensive market research was carried out before the relaunch. The objectives were:
- revitalise the brand
- rejuvenate the total sales of Polo
- broaden Polo within the consumers repertoire - i.e. offer consumers a range of different types to select from
- create trade interest in the brand. Retailers are always keen to stock products for which there is a lot of interest and hence demand
The new flavours were selected as a result of market research because:
- Spearmint is a very popular growing market.
- Strong provides direct competition with Trebor's Extra Strong Mints
- Sugar Free is a small but growing market which is becoming increasingly appealing to figure -conscious consumers.
At the same time all these mint variants support Polo's core brand valuesof being 'hard, smooth, round hole mints'.