Nearly every online gaming software provider develops slots as they are highly demanded in the casino business. Even though most of the slot machines have a lot in common, they still carry distinct features that separate one from the other. Two of the most prominent names behind the creation of the slots are NetEnt and Yggdrasil Gaming.
NetEnt was a pioneer in the online gaming industry and started its activity in the far 1996. The Swedish company budded from humble beginnings and has over the years delivered services to other countries in Europe and the globe. Today, NetEnt stands as the crown jewel of the casino game development niche, overtaking bigger houses like IGT and Microgaming. The slots developer provides more than one thousand games that spew beyond the slot niche and delivers services to over three hundred casinos.
Yggdrasil Gaming is a late bloomer when compared to NetEnt with its roots dating back to 2013. However, the company enjoys significant success with free Yggdrasil slots as big hits in the gambling business despite its relatively young age. The gaming firm was founded by Fredrik Elmqvist, who previously worked with NetEnt as its CEO. The extensive experience of Fredrik shines through Yggdrasil projects, which allows it to be pitted against the giant NetEnt in this piece. With the provided comparison, gamers can choose whether to play NetEnt slots for free or opt for those of Yggdrasil Gaming.
Reels make up the grid of the slot on which characters appear. Both NetEnt and Yggdrasil Gaming lean towards the use of five reels for nearly all of their slots. In each of the developer’s games, punters are met with a play table design that is suited for the used theme, and in some, it is entirely made of the characters.
- NetEnt does feature a handful of three-reeled slot machines, which are mostly inspired by earlier models.
- Yggdrasil Gaming has yet to feature such a title and focuses more on modern video slots that use five columns.
When focusing on striking imaging when it comes to slot games, both NetEnt and Yggdrasil Gaming are commanding forces.
- NetEnt was among the first online software developers that drove video slots into popularity. Later on, the firm spearheaded the use of 3D imaging in games, which immerses players on a whole new level. Some NetEnt slots that showcase the software provider’s ability in the same include Dead or Alive II, Magic Portals, and Aliens. The impressive presentation of NetEnt mobile slots goes beyond the visual and captivates with stunning audio as well. For example, in Guns N’ Roses Slot, the developer plays several hits from one of the band’s albums.
- Yggdrasil Gaming follows in the same eye-catching footsteps of NetEnt and offers a string of beautiful video and 3D slots. One of the pages it has copied from NetEnt is the inclusion of an animated opening scene that makes the storyline even more enticing. In Vikings Go to Hell, for instance, the slot begins with a battle between Vikings and a fiery demon from the underworld before the playing grid is presented.
Bet limits stand as a crucial determining factor for most gamblers’ game choice. The stakes that are used influence the payouts that are provided when winning combinations appear. Therefore, the bigger the bet used, the larger the payouts provided.
- NetEnt is an avid provider of high limit slots, with an average stake limit of 100 euros. This amount climbs as high as 400 euros in slots like Dracula, which entertain the biggest of spenders. Usually, the stakes are determined by two buttons: the coin value and bet level. The former determines the denomination used per coin while the latter adjusts the number of coins per spin. The Max Bet setting can be used to place the maximum stake automatically.
- Yggdrasil Gaming is also big on serving high rollers, but it does not reach as high as NetEnt. The highest amount offered by the developer is 125 euros, and in most slots, it goes up to 100 euros only. The adjustment of the stake amount is made using one button, which is that of Coin Value. The selected value is then multiplied by a fixed number of coins designated for each line to come up with the total amount. In nearly all Yggdrasil slots, punters are not allowed to adjust the bet lines used per spin.
Even though slots are an entertaining bunch, their most attractive features are the payouts they provide. The payouts differ from one slot to another, and both NetEnt and Yggdrasil Gaming impress on this front.
- NetEnt takes the crown in this case, considering it runs a lot more progressive slots than Yggdrasil and of more significant value. The NetEnt slot Mega Fortune is responsible for the second and third largest online slot jackpots ever offered. The amount collected for the largest was a little over €17.86 million while the third one held €11.7 million.
- The pooled prizes in Yggdrasil Gaming slots hardly come close to half of these amounts.
Both software developers are explorative with the bonus features included in games. Wilds, free spins, scatters, and multipliers are standard in NetEnt and Yggdrasil slots. Each of these offers is twisted into the style and theme used in the game, most of which are dramatic.
- NetEnt has Arcane Reel Chaos Slot that can be used as an ideal example. Six free spins are activated by three scatter symbols. The round plays out as a war between good and evil with both sides represented on each side of the screen. Each time a payout is landed, the good side wins and two more freebies are awarded. The round ends when no more winnings are acquired.
- As for Yggdrasil Gaming, Beauty and the Beast stands as a viable example. Considering the game is based on one of the most popular mythical tales, one can expect a whole lot of bonus magic in Beauty and the Beast. The set includes random bonuses that see one of the three friendly ghost servants appear on the grid after any spin. The butler offers a nudge bonus, the chef synchronizes the three centre reels, and the maid awards two to four wilds anywhere on the screen. Players can also collect as many as ten free spins in the game, which carry accompaniments of up to 5000 coins.
Yggdrasil Gaming slots are widely accessible in tens of casinos as well as affiliate review sites. However, their widespread provision does not match that of NetEnt sets, which are placed in more than three hundred casinos. The games can be accessed across Europe and the rest of the globe on sites that have been proven legitimate and hold valid licenses.
Free and Real Money Play
These online gaming software providers develop their titles in both free and real money gameplay modes. The demo versions are accessible in both gambling dens and game review sites, while the real money ones can only be launched in casinos. Free gameplay in the pokies is supported by fun coins, which replicate the cash used to place stakes and are built into the sets.
The current age of gambling is heavily dependent on mobile technology due to the widespread use of smartphone and tablet devices. NetEnt is credited with paving the way for mobile casino slots thanks to its use of Java software. The company has since moved on to HTML5 technology, which is also exploited by Yggdrasil Gaming.
When comparing all the features listed above, NetEnt comes out on top but with little on top of what Yggdrasil Gaming has to offer. At the end of the day, the ideal choice between the two firms depends on a gambler’s personal needs.